Thursday, December 8, 2016

December 8, 2016

In re-reading my "profile" on this blog, I see I said there that I was 68.  Well, I have to update that: I am now 75.  This simply reveals that I haven't added anything for seven years.  Shame on me!

The other day at a luncheon for retired clergy in the Diocese of Oregon with our Bishop, one of my colleagues remarked he had a blog.  He is a very talented writer and I was glad to hear that he was doing that.  I said to another colleague that I "once had a blog called 'Phillip's Fillups'," to which she replied: "That's cute!"

Cute or not, I'm going to continue to write.  Some days it will seem like "I'll write, come hell or high water" but I'm going to give it a go.  Wish me luck, and if you pray, do that for me.

On this snowy - a bit unusual here in Portland, Oregon - and wintry day that is the Feast of the Immaculate Conception in the Roman Catholic calendar I attempt to write.  Btw, it's also the commemoration in Holy Women, Holy Men (formerly Lesser Feasts and Fasts) of Richard Baxter, a Puritan pastor and poet.  I read about him this morning when I was reading Matins in my basement oratory.  I have loved his, "Christ leads me through no darker rooms  / than he went through before."  Perhaps I'll write later about that hymn but now, I must close this for now and post it.

Perhaps I will tell more about this blog and they will read the posts.  Meanwhile, I wish you well and God's richest blessings, this time of year and always.

No comments:

Post a Comment