Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

This is my second "blog" and I still have to figure out how I can circulate this stuff without sending it hin and yon to all and sundry. Some may not be interested in my persiflage at all and others may be voyeurs of a sort. I don't want to pander to either gang.


Today I attended my ecumenical lectionary study group that has been going on for about seven years or so. When I joined it, I was still Rector of Ascension Parish in the West Hills of Portland, had to get LaVera to work, so was late to our meetings which then took place at St. David of Wales Parish in Portland on the east side. I thoroughly enjoyed all the conversation around the four readings appointed in the lectionary for the Sunday eleven days hence from our meeting. I.e., today's session dealt with the readings for Sunday, October 4. We use the RCL (Revised Common Lecitonary) and look closely at the Hebrew Scripture reading, the Psalm, the Epistle and the Gospel. Someone, usually the one who presents the 1st reading, offers a prayer before we begin and the Gospel-presenter brings some sort of treats, usually what I call "gooey rolls." Today, the Gospeller forgot he was presenting and we had, nevertheless, some fresh fruit, including some freshly-picked figs which I found a bit mushy and not very delightful. But the conversation was terrific, as always.


I am constantly in awe of how my Presbyterian (mainly) colleagues in the group do their work: they have a true love for The Word, a hermeneutical (?) and homiletical love. I think in their seminaries they study both the original Hebrew texts and the Greek ones. They, of course, are called upon to preach rather full sermons each week in their respective pulpits and often I'll hear such a question, "How will this text 'preach'?" We Episcopalians don't give as much time and effort to preaching the Word, but I'm always in awe. Perhaps I could add more than my simple "two-bits" and really give them an Anglican spin on things, but I don't or can't. Our one UCC member is one of the smartest and cleverest people in the group. Thus far, if everyone's present, we have 3 ELCA (Lutherans), 1 UCC (Congregational/United Church of Christ), 4 (sometimes 5) Presbyterians, and 4 Episcopalians (3 clergy and 1 lay preacher). We have a great time and I'm fed richly by this group.


On Wednesdays, I try to get to our parish, Ss. Peter & Paul, for our noonday "Celtic Mass" and Bible study that follows. The "contract" is to stay well within an hour for both and we do rather well with it, although today, we went on a bit longer. We usually look at the propers for the coming Sunday. And this Sunday, our Assisting Bishop, Sandy Hampton, will be with us to visit, confirm, baptize and preside. He preferred that we use the RCL lectionary which includes the reading from Numbers, wherein the Hebrews are whining greatly about all the good food they had in their slavery in Egypt and are having to put up with that awful "manna". I imagine the good bishop will, upon urging from our rector, raise up for us all what our parish is hoping to do in the future. That is, be an "emergent church," welcoming all in the Name of Christ

No comments:

Post a Comment